The 2016 editions of ASHRAE’s major refrigerants-related standards have been published as a package with 30 new refrigerants and refrigerant blends added.
ANSI/ASHRAE 15, Safety Standard for Refrigeration Systems, and its sister standard, ANSI/ASHRAE 34, Designation and Safety Classification of Refrigerants, constitute a complete set of requirements for the safe design, construction, and application of refrigeration systems used in a wide variety of residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
For both of the standards, the updates come from a continuing stream of changes made based on new science and research, experience, and proposals from designers, manufacturers, and users.
The 2016 edition of Standard 15 incorporates addenda a, b, c, e, and g to the 2013 edition, which comprise:
- Changes to ensure improvement in the safe design, construction, installation, and operation of refrigeration systems.
- Updated requirements for safety relief systems, including revisions to relief-vent pipe-discharge locations and design provisions for headered relief-vent systems.
- Updated design pressure requirements applicable to systems using carbon dioxide.
- Modified overpressure protection for heat exchangers and pressure-limiting devices for positive-displacement compressors.
The 2016 edition of Standard 34 incorporates 35 addenda to the 2013 edition. Among the key changes are:
- Three new refrigerants and 27 new refrigerant blends.
- A change in the source of WEEL (Workplace Environmental Exposure Levels) values from AIHA (American Industrial Hygiene Association) to TERA OARS-WEEL (Toxicology Excellence for Risk Assessment/Occupational Alliance for Risk Science).
- Changed requirements for the refrigerant application process.
- A changed requirement for submission of standard test-result data to validate the method used to determine burning velocity.
- Change in units required for refrigerant designation to dual.
- Revised R-744 toxicity data for RCL, LC 50, cardiac sensitization NOEL, anesthesia NOEL, ATEL, RCL, and ATEL sources.
The cost of ASHRAE standards 15 and 34, which are packaged together, is $95 for ASHRAE members and $112 for non-members. Copies can be ordered online at www.ashrae.org/bookstore, by phone at 1-800-527-4723 (United States and Canada) or 404-636-8400, or by fax at 678-539-2129.