New chapters on smart building systems and moisture management in buildings are included in the 2015 edition of ASHRAE Handbook—HVAC Applications.
Consisting of 1,200 pages covering a broad range of facilities and topics, the newly published volume is written to help engineers design and use equipment and systems described in other Handbook volumes. Main sections cover comfort, industrial, energy-related, and general applications and building operations and management.
The 2015 edition includes two new chapters:
- Chapter 61, Smart Building Systems, which covers automated fault detection and diagnostics, sensors and actuators, and the emerging modernized electric power grid and its relationship to buildings and facilities.
- Chapter 62, Moisture Management in Buildings, which addresses risks associated with damp buildings, with suggestions for architectural- and HVAC-system design, operation, and occupancy.
- Updated guidance on duct-system design and communicating control systems in Chapter 1, Residences.
- New content on supertall and megatall buildings, improved stack-effect discussion and calculations, and new information on chilled beams, code references, split central plants, and elevator-shaft pressurization in Chapter 4, Tall Buildings.
- New content on regulatory resources, hospital-acquired infections, sustainability and operations, control measures, outpatient care, and isolation and bronchoscopy rooms, plus research results from ASHRAE Research Project-1343 on heat gain from imaging systems in Chapter 8, Health Care Facilities.
- Extensive new content on demand control, computational-fluid-dynamics analysis, pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities, safety, environmental systems, installation and testing, and sustainability and energy conservation in Chapter 18, Clean Spaces.
- A rewritten Chapter 19, Data Centers and Telecommunication Facilities, reflecting current best practices as covered in the books of the ASHRAE Datacom Series.
- Significant new content and examples on ground-coupled-heat-pump-system design, hybrid ground-source heat pumps, piping, pressure considerations, purging, deep boreholes, central plants, open-loop/surface-water direct cooling, and simulation in Chapter 34, Geothermal Energy.
- Major revisions on corrosion, deposition, microbiological growth and control, filtration and closed-loop systems, alternative water sources, Legionnaires’ disease, thermal storage, and steam boiler systems in Chapter 49, Water Treatment.
- Many new figures and examples in Chapter 53, Fire and Smoke Control.
2015 ASHRAE Handbook—HVAC Applications is available in print and CD-ROM format in inch-pound (I-P) and International System of Units (SI) editions. The cost of the print volume and CD in I-P or SI is $209. The cost of the CD, which contains both the I-P and SI editions, is $189. Copies can be ordered by phone at 1-800-527-4723 (United States and Canada) or 404-636-8400, by fax at 678-539-2129, or online at www.ashrae.org/bookstore.
2015 ASHRAE Handbook—HVAC Applications also is available as part of ASHRAE Handbook Online. ASHRAE members can subscribe for $33 and get immediate, searchable access to all four ASHRAE Handbook volumes in both I-P and SI.