One hundred nineteen people were recognized for their contributions to ASHRAE and the building industry during ASHRAE’s 2013 Annual Conference, held June 22-26 in Denver.
The Andrew T. Boggs Service Award, recognizing past recipients of the Distinguished Service Award for continuing unselfish, dedicated, and distinguished service to ASHRAE, was awarded posthumously to Presidential Member Richard Charles, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member.
The Exceptional Service Award, recognizing Distinguished Service Award recipients who have continued to serve ASHRAE faithfully and with exemplary effort, was awarded to:
• Zahid Ayub, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, president, Isotherm, Arlington, Texas.
• Presidential Member Lee Burgett, PE, FASHRAE, consultant, The Trane Co., La Crosse, Wis.
• Dale Carter, FASHRAE, Life Member, president and chief executive officer, DEC Engineering, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
• Raymond Cohen, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Valparaiso, Ind.
• Drury Crawley, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, BEMP, director, building performance, Bentley Systems, Washington, D.C.
• K. William “Bill” Dean, P.Eng., manager, National Research Council of Canada, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
• Mohammad Hosni, PhD, FASHRAE, professor and Frankenhoff chair of engineering, department of mechanical and nuclear engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
• Yunho Hwang, PhD, research associate professor and associate director of the Center for Environmental Energy Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
• Ben Leppard Jr., PE, principal and director of mechanical engineering, Leppard Johnson & Associates, Tucker, Ga.
• George Menzies, P.Eng., Life Member, of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
• Presidential Member Richard Rooley, FREng., FASHRAE, Life Member, OPMP, owner, Rooley Consultants, Stoke Poges, Bucks, United Kingdom.
• Alberto Sanchez, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, vice president, Global Sanchez, Tampa, Fla.
• Sitaraman Chandra Sekhar, PhD, C.P.Eng., FASHRAE, associate professor and program director, building performance and sustainability, National University of Singapore.
• James Vallort, senior vice president, ESD, Chicago.
The Distinguished Service Award, recognizing members for giving freely of their time and talent to ASHRAE, was presented to:
• Douglass Abramson of Chapin, S.C.
• Bruce Anderson, vice president of marketing, CES Group, Eden Prairie, Minn.
• Joseph Anderson, PE, principal, Anderson Engineering, Germantown, Tenn.
• David Arnold, PhD, FREng, FASHRAE, Life Member, partner, Troup Bywaters & Anders Consulting Engineers, Reading, United Kingdom.
• George Austin Jr., PE, HBDP, BEAP, BEMP, CPMP, OPMP, HFDP, principal, Shultz Engineering Group, Charlotte, N.C.
• Ronald Bailey, PE, president, Bailey Engineering Corp., Jupiter, Fla.
• Dieter Bartel, energy specialist, Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
• Richard Bowman, owner, Mechanical Concepts, Wichita, Kan.
• Donald Brundage, PE, codes and standards principal, marketing research, Southern Co., Atlanta.
• Paul Cabot, administrator, national fuel-gas code, American Gas Association, Washington, D.C.
• Cynthia Callaway, PE, senior mechanical engineer/project manager, P2S Engineering, Long Beach, Calif.
• John Carter, senior associate, CPP, Fort Collins, Colo.
• Richard Cawley, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Tyler, Texas.
• Mark Case, PE, president, ETC Group, Salt Lake City.
• David Conover, senior technical advisor, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Great Falls, Va.
• Hugh Crowther, P.Eng., executive vice president, product management and technology, Price Mechanical Industrial, Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
• Charles Culp, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, HBDP, professor, department of architecture, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
• Charlie Curlin Jr., PE, principal, Shultz Engineering Group, Charlotte, N.C.
• Daniel Dettmers, associate researcher, Industrial Refrigeration Consortium, University of Wisconsin–Madison.
• James Escamilla, PE, president/chief executive officer, Byce & Associates, Kalamazoo Mich.
• Kevin Fallin, PE, president, Whitman, Requardt and Associates, Fairfax, Va.
• Donald Fenton, PhD, PE, professor and department head, mechanical engineering department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
• Thomas A. Gilbertson, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, president, Thomas A. Gilbertson & Associates, Moraga, Calif.
• Krishnan Gowri, PhD, senior research engineer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Wash.
• Gerald Groff, FASHRAE, Life Member, principal, Groff Associates, Cazenovia, N.Y.
• Traci Hanegan, PE, HFDP, principal mechanical engineer, Coffman Engineers, Spokane, Wash.
• Lucas Hyman, PE, president, Goss Engineering, Corona, Calif.
• Nadar “Jay” Jayaraman, P.Eng., special-projects manager, Enbridge, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
• John Kuempel Jr., PE, vice president, DeBra-Kuempel, Cincinnati.
• Hal Levin, FASHRAE, research architect, Building Ecology Research Group, Santa Cruz, Calif.
• Robert Linder, PE, senior project manager, Karges-Faulconbridge, St. Paul, Minn.
• Lawrence Markel, FASHRAE, principal, SRA International, Knoxville, Tenn.
• Kevin Marple, president, Benz Air Engineering Co., Portland, Ore.
• Norm Maxwell, PE, Life Member, president, Environmental Air Quality, Great Neck, N.Y.
• Michael McDermott, project manager, Grumman Butkus Associates, Evanston, Ill.
• Robert McDowall, P.Eng., Life Member, of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
• Tim McGinn, P.Eng., HBDP, principal, DIALOG, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
• Mark Modera, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, professor, director, Western Cooling Efficiency Center, University of California, Davis.
• Philip Naughton, PE, corporate energy manager, Applied Materials, Austin, Texas.
• Bruce Nelson, PE, president, Colmac Coil Manufacturing, Colville, Wash.
• John Nix II, senior engineer, Florida Power and Light Co., Miami.
• David Olson, PE, president, Integrated Mechanical Systems, Niwot, Colo.
• Chee Sheng Ow, PhD, P.Eng., FASHRAE, professor, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Selangor, Malaysia.
• David Rasmussen, Canadian sales representative, Philip Doyle Manufacturing Inc., Stony Creek, Ontario, Canada.
• John Rieke, PE, senior mechanical engineer, SAIC, St. Paul, Minn.
• Harvey M. Sachs, PhD, senior fellow, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, Washington, D.C.
• Lawrence Schoen, PE, FASHRAE, president and principal engineer, Schoen Engineering, Columbia, Md.
• Randy Schrecengost, PE, BEAP, project manager/senior mechanical engineer, Stanley Consultants, Austin, Texas.
• Michael Sherber, PE, HBDP, executive vice president, The Firma Group, Avon, Conn.
• Donald Siller, PE, Life Member, president, Siller & Associates, O’Fallon, Mo.
• Steven Szymurski of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
• T. Minh Tran, PE, managing director—utility operations, construction, Piedmont Natural Gas, Charlotte, N.C.
• Alan Veeck, vice president, MVA, and executive director, National Air Filtration Association, Virginia Beach, Va.
• Saul Villanueva, PE, principal mechanical engineer, Mechanical Applications Consultants, San Jose, Calif.
• Timothy Wentz, PE, FASHRAE, HBDP, associate professor of construction management, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Neb.
• Theresa Weston, PhD, research fellow, DuPont Building Innovations, Richmond, Va.
• Brandt Williams, PE, president, Engineered Systems Design, Duncan, S.C.
• Lee D. Woods, Life Member (posthumously).
• J. Richard Wright, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Cookeville, Tenn.
• David P. Yuill, PE, graduate research assistant, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
• Jack Zarour, senior mechanical engineer, Genentech, South San Francisco, Calif.
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award, given to persons who have been a member of ASHRAE for 50 years and performed outstanding service, was presented to:
• Arthur Bennett, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Athens, Ga.
• Walter Bishop, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Sunnyside, N.Y.
• Laurence Brink, Life Member (posthumously).
• Floyd “Les” Brown, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Charleston, Ill.
• Ronald Caffrey, Life Member, partner, BSC Partners Consultants, Saint Petersburg, Fla.
• Waller Clements, PE, Life Member, owner, Clements Consulting, Evansville, Ind.
• Thomas A. Gilbertson, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, president, Thomas A. Gilbertson & Associates, Moraga, Calif.
• Donald Glaser, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Fort Myers, Fla.
• Robert Jones, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, of Winchester, Va.
• James McFall, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, senior consultant, MKK Consulting Engineers, Greenwood Village, Colo.
• James Newman, Life Member, OPMP, BEAP, owner, managing partner, Newman Consulting Group, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
• Verle Williams, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, CPMP, president, Utility Services Unlimited, San Diego.
• James Woods, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, Life Member, independent consultant, Charlottesville, Va.
The Journal Paper Award, honoring the best paper or article published in ASHRAE Journal, was awarded to John Murphy, applications engineer, The Trane Co., La Crosse, Wis., for the article “Total Energy Wheel Control in a Dedicated Outdoor Air (OA) System.”
The Poster Presentation Award, recognizing peer-reviewed technical papers with the best visual and technical information presented at Society meetings, was awarded to Shanshan Cai, PhD student, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.; Lorenzo Cremaschi, PhD, associate professor, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.; Afshin Ghajar, PhD, PE, regents professor, John Brammer Endowed professor, and director of graduate studies, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.; and Kasey Worthington, project engineer, AAON Inc., Jenks, Okla., for “Measurements of Pipe Insulation Thermal Conductivity at Below Ambient Temperature Part 1: Experimental Methodology and Dry Tests.”
The Crosby Field Award, recognizing the best paper presented before ASHRAE in 2012, was given to John Bryant, PhD, PE, associate professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar, Doha, Qatar; Dennis O’Neal, PhD, PE, FASHRAE, dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Baylor University, Waco, Texas; and Michael Davis, PhD, director of laboratories, New York University Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, for “Modeling the Performance of ECM and SCR Parallel Fan-Powered Terminal Units in Single-Duct VAV Systems.” Bryant, O’Neal, and Davis also received two Technical Paper awards, which recognize the authors of the best papers presented at Society meetings: one for “Modeling the Performance of ECM and SCR Parallel Fan-Powered Terminal Units in Single-Duct VAV Systems” and one for “Modeling the Performance of ECM and SCR Series Fan-Powered Terminal Units in Single-Duct VAV Systems.”
Also receiving Technical Paper awards were:
• Stephen Idem, PhD, professor, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tenn., and Ananth Nalla, current-product engineer, Cummins Filtration, Soughton, Wis., for “Laboratory Testing of Saddle-Tap Tees to Determine Loss Coefficient.”
• Farhad Memarzadeh, PhD, PE, director, Division of Technical Resources, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md., for “Literature Review of the Effect of Temperature and Humidity on Viruses.”
The Willis H. Carrier Award, given to an ASHRAE member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at an ASHRAE meeting, was presented to Daniel Gibbs, mechanical engineer, Barge, Waggoner, Sumner and Cannon, Nashville, Tenn., for “Measurements of Flat Oval Diverging Flow Fittings Loss Coefficients.”
The Lincoln Bouillon Award, recognizing a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing the membership of ASHRAE during the course of the year, was presented to George Waters Sr., branch manager, sales engineer, R.L. Stone Co., Buffalo.
The Dan Mills Technical Award, recognizing a chapter technology-transfer-committee chair who excels in meeting goals in technical, energy, and government activities, was presented to Mike Fullerton, PE, HFDP, project manager/principal, TME Inc., Little Rock, Ark. Fullerton also received the Chapter Program Star Award, which recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors.
The William J. Collins Jr. RP Award, given to a chapter research-promotion chair who excels in all activities supporting a research-promotion campaign, was presented to Christopher “Mike” Donovan, HBDP, Houston.
The Lou Flagg Historical Award, recognizing an individual for preparing the most outstanding historical presentation related to HVACR, was presented to Alexander Weiss, PE, of Brooklyn, N.Y.
The Standards Achievement Award, recognizing significant and exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution, was awarded to Martha VanGeem, PE, of Mount Prospect, Ill.
The Student Activities Achievement Award, recognizing a chapter student-activities chair for service related to the goals and growth of student activities at all levels, was presented to Ather Siddiqui, chief executive, Environmental Engineering Centre, Islamabad, Pakistan.
The Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award, given to a researcher under the age of 40 for significant accomplishments in the study of bioenvironmental engineering and its effect on human comfort and health, was presented to Stefano Schiavon, PhD, PE, assistant professor of architecture, Center for the Built Environment, Department of Architecture, University of California, Berkeley.
The Environmental Health Award, recognizing excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental-health issues, was presented to Lawrence “Larry” J. Schoen, PE, FASHRAE, president and principal engineer, Schoen Engineering Inc., Columbia, Md.
The Homer Addams Award, honoring a graduate student engaged in an ASHRAE research project, was presented to Ricardo Da Silva Lima, PhD, of Versoix, Switzerland.