ASHRAE introduced its 2017-2018 president, executive-committee officers, and directors during its 2017 Annual Conference, held June 24-28 in Long Beach, Calif.
ASHRAE’s new president is Bjarne W. Olesen, PhD, FASHRAE, a professor at Technical University of Denmark.
During his inaugural presidential address, Olesen revealed the theme of his term: “Extending Our Community.”
“The tremendous amount of volunteer work that occurs within ASHRAE is unique compared to other societies,” Olesen said. “The time ASHRAE volunteers dedicate to the society is incredible, and the dedication of our 2017-2018 officers will strengthen our society’s knowledge base, community reach, and ability to shape a more sustainable world. I look forward to working with my fellow ASHRAE officers and members this year to extend our global community, adapt to new technologies, and embrace our shared needs and objectives.”
In addition to serving as ASHRAE’s president, Olesen will serve as chair of the society’s board of directors and executive committee.
Elected to serve one-year terms were:
- President-Elect Sheila J. Hayter, PE, FASHRAE, group manager, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo.
- Treasurer Darryl K. Boyce, P.Eng., FASHRAE, assistant vice president, facilities management and planning, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Vice President Michael Schwedler, FASHRAE, principal and senior applications manager, Trane, La Crosse, Wis.
- Vice President Ginger Scoggins, PE, president, Engineered Designs, Raleigh, N.C.
- Vice President Edward Tsui, managing director, Intelligent Technologies Ltd., Hong Kong.
- Vice President Julia A. Keen, PhD, PE, BEAP, HBDP, associate professor, architectural engineering and construction sciences, Kansas State University.
Serving three-year terms from 2017 to 2020 will be:
- Region VII Director and Regional Chair Michael P. Cooper, PE, senior vice president, Bernhard MCC, Metairie, La.
- Region VIII Director and Regional Chair Jonathan I. Symko, president, QSC Consultants LLC, Sugar Land, Texas.
- Region IX Director and Regional Chair Trenton S. Hunt, systems engineer/account manager, Mechanical Products Intermountain, Midvale, Utah.
- Region X Director and Regional Chair Marites Dagulo Calad, vice president, Norman S. Wright Mechanical, Waipahu, Hawaii.
- Region XIV Director and Regional Chair Constantinos A. Balaras, PhD, P.Eng., FASHRAE, research/development engineer, National Observatory of Athens, Greece.
- Region-at-Large Director and Regional Chair Farooq Mehboob, PE, FASHRAE, owner, S. Mehboob & Co., Karachi, Pakistan.
- Director-at-Large Van D. Baxter, PE, FASHRAE, senior R&D engineer, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
- Director-at-Large Donald L. Brandt, BEAP, sales engineer, Trane, Phoenix.
- Director-at-Large Tim J. McGinn, P.Eng., HBDP, partner, DIALOG, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.