ASHRAE, the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), and the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) recently announced the publication of ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2014, Standard for the Design of High-Performance, Green Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings.
The standard incorporates 67 addenda. Major changes include:
- Significant updates to reflect the publication of Standard 90.1-2013, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, including revised building-envelope provisions. Fenestration-orientation requirements were updated based on new research. Additionally, changes and updates were made to equipment-efficiency tables, ENERGY STAR references, and continuous-air-barrier requirements.
- The updating of carbon-dioxide-emission factors for different energy sources.
- The addition of lighting quality to the scope of the indoor-environmental-quality section, the addition of lighting-controls requirements for specific space types, the clarification of requirements for air sealing of filtration and air-cleaning equipment, and the addition of requirements for preoccupancy ventilation and building-envelope moisture management.
- The mandating of all site-sustainability requirements; the enhancement of requirements for stormwater management; the addition of requirements for bicycle parking and preferred parking for low-emission, hybrid, and electric vehicles; and the addition of requirements for predesign assessment of native and invasive plants.
- The addition of more-stringent water-use requirements for toilets, clothes washers, dishwashers, and green roofs.
- The updating of requirements for recyclable-storage and collection areas, the updating of requirements for construction-waste management and life-cycle assessment, the addition of requirements for multiple-attribute-product declaration or certification, and the addition of maximum mercury-content levels for certain types of electric lamps.
- The updating of requirements related to environmental impacts associated with idling construction vehicles and the addition of requirements to reduce the entry of airborne contaminants associated with construction areas.
The cost of ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2014 is $109 for ASHRAE members and $128 for non-members. Copies can be ordered by phone at 1-800-527-4723 (United States and Canada) or 404-636-8400, by fax at 678-539-2129, or online at www.ashrae.org/bookstore.