The 2014 ASHRAE Handbook, which covers refrigeration equipment and systems for applications other than human comfort, is available for purchase.
The 2014 volume includes information on cooling, freezing, and storing food; industrial applications of refrigeration; and low-temperature refrigeration.
Dan Dettmers, volume chair, said the handbook is evolving.
“With the industry’s growing interest in the category of ‘natural’ refrigerants, the dedicated technical committees have updated the handbook chapters on ammonia and carbon-dioxide refrigeration systems,” Dettmers said. “These chapters, traditionally focused on industrial systems, are finding new fans in the commercial realm as zero-ozone-depletion-potential/global-warming-potential refrigerants are requested by our customers.”
Updates and changes to the 2014 volume include:
- Reworked insulation tables for compliance with ASTM Standard C680-10, Standard Practice for Estimate of the Heat Gain or Loss and the Surface Temperatures of Insulated Flat, Cylindrical, and Spherical Systems by Use of Computer Programs.
- Extensive reorganization of Chapter 2, “Ammonia Refrigeration Systems,” to reflect current practices.
- The addition of sections on additives and process chemicals to Chapter 6, “Refrigerant System Chemistry.”
- The additions of moisture isotherm data for R-290 and R-600a and a section on system sampling to Chapter 7, “Control of Moisture and Other Contaminants in Refrigerant Systems.”
- Expanded focus on hydrofluorocarbons and the addition of chemical information and guidance on retrofits to Chapter 12, “Lubricants in Refrigerant Systems.”
Two editions—inch-pound (I-P) and International System of Units (SI)—of 2014 ASHRAE Handbook—Refrigeration are available. Both editions can be purchased on a CD for $179. For $20 more, purchasers also can get either edition in print. Copies can be ordered by phone at 800-527-4723 (United States and Canada) or 404-636-8400, by fax at 678-539-2129, or online at www.ashrae.org/bookstore.
Along with 2013 ASHRAE Handbook—Fundamentals, 2012 ASHRAE Handbook—HVAC Systems and Equipment, and 2011 ASHRAE Handbook—HVAC Applications, 2014 ASHRAE Handbook—Refrigeration is included in ASHRAE Handbook Online. For $29, subscribers get immediate searchable access to all four volumes in both I-P and SI units. To subscribe, go to http://bit.ly/Handbook_Online.