In Knoxville, Tennessee, an apartment complex was the source of a large fire after years of smaller fires that some say were caused by the HVAC unit. WATE-TV reported that Sunflower Apartments had a large fire that started in the attic and left more than 20 people without a home.
Since 2003, there were reportedly five fires at this complex. A report from a 2003 fire, as well as one from a 2009 fire, found that fires started near the electric box for the HVAC unit.
“Firefighters had to request full alarm due to smoke and heat in the attic area,” the 2009 report found. “Fighters found a structural member in the attic burnt through at the electric box for the attic-mounted air HVAC.”
Always be sure that HVAC systems are safely installed, including the electricity that powers them. These systems must be kept away from material, such as insulation, that can easily catch fire. Don't keep too much electricity bunched into one area unless it is installed by a professional. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)